In my EPSY night class tonight, my prof read us a poem written by a woman who has a child with an exceptionality. It is such a great metaphor! She compares preparing for a trip to Italy, and then ending up in Holland to having a child born with an exceptionality. Click on this link to watch it. The slideshow of pictures can get slightly random, and the pictures with the sock monkeys relates to the creator of the video. But pay close attention to the narration. I think it puts things into perspective.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tehcysu03EI
A Hundred Years From Now
A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove...but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I agree with you Jenna. This poem is so good, it does help you to begin to understand what a parent goes through when they have a child with a disability. I thought that this was such a great poem.
Wow, even though we are learning about learning disabilities from a theoretical perspective, it is really nice to see a parents perspective. Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment