A Hundred Years From Now

A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove...but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child.

Thursday, February 8, 2007

The "Evils" of Technology

After leaving the university today, I had to take my car in for an oil change. Having an hour to kill, I walked over to Chapters in the south end and settled down with a nice hot coffee and my lap top to do some homework. There was two ladies sitting close to me, reading passages from bibles they held in their hands. I began talking on my cell phone while working on my computer. In a very loud voice, one of the ladies said “See, look at her! So young and already a slave to technology.” Upon which time the two ladies (and several other people within ear shot) began staring at me. I felt my face turn beat red and attempted to continue a normal phone conversation. The ladies than began reading passages out loud from their bibles that they claim prove God sees technology as evil and that he wants us to keep our lives simple. I refused to leave because I did not want them to think that they had “got to me”. So I continued to work on my essay, and decided to turn on some thinking music. Finally, they left, but not before the more vocal lady turned to me and said “May God bless your soul!” I was speechless! What are you supposed to say to that!? Believe whatever you want! But do not judge me just because you do not agree with what I'm doing!!

5 comments:

Miss. Wallman said...

Wow that is harshed out! There is a time and a place to preach and thats what we call "Church". If they directed that to me I would most likely have an earful to tell them. It is unneccessary and knowing me I would probably start ranting about the devil or something (probably get kicked out of Chapters lol). But wow sorry to hear that!

Alec Couros said...

wow, i wish i had been there. I would have definitely given a sermon!

p said...

Wow, I cant believe that they actually said that. I am impressd that you did not say anything. That deffinitley makes a good story hahahaha

jeff B said...

Technology is not only evil, but it is unnecessary. People knew how to live in peace thousands of years ago. But those who are selfish and greedy kept disrupting the status quo. The world was never good enough for them because of their greed. So they kept telling lies, spreading deception, and tricking people into thinking they needed better too.

Products were created to promote this deception. And they still are being created. This has gotten completely out of hand. The deception has spread like cancer. The world is covered in it. People are being deceived more and more to keep the monster alive. Many are so lost inside their deception that they are trapped. And they are the ones that say "technology is important". It is not. It wasn't two thousand years ago. And it isn't now. We can choose to walk away from it and still be happy, be a family, survive, and work. To Hell with the rich because that's where they are going someday.

jeff B said...

Technology is not only evil, but it is unnecessary. People knew how to live in peace thousands of years ago. But those who are selfish and greedy kept disrupting the status quo. The world was never good enough for them because of their greed. So they kept telling lies, spreading deception, and tricking people into thinking they needed better too.

Products were created to promote this deception. And they still are being created. This has gotten completely out of hand. The deception has spread like cancer. The world is covered in it. People are being deceived more and more to keep the monster alive. Many are so lost inside their deception that they are trapped. And they are the ones that say "technology is important". It is not. It wasn't two thousand years ago. And it isn't now. We can choose to walk away from it and still be happy, be a family, survive, and work. To Hell with the rich because that's where they are going someday.