A Hundred Years From Now

A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove...but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child.

Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Facebook in Mourning

Yesterday morning while I was getting ready for work, I randomly turned my tv to a news program from somewhere in the US. They were reporting on a story about a young college girl who was snow tubing on a school. Apparently some of the snow had melted during the day, and frozen that evening. While going down the hill, the girl lost control of her tube, veered off the trail and hit a tree. She was later pronounced dead at a local hospital. Read the full story here. What was really interesting to me is that friends and family have used her Facebook account as a support forum. People are posting comments and pictures to remember her. As well, there is a video posted on YouTube in memory of her.

I think what interested me most is the global reach of this. The internet is able to bring her friends and loved ones together from all over the world. They are able to form a support group to help them get through this tragedy.

1 comment:

Miss. Wallman said...

This reminds me of looking at the Leader Post obituaries. You can actually send your sympathies via messaging through the online obituaries. Its quite neat!